Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Housing suggestions?
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Blah blah...
OleDancer
Likes her admins.

Weekly Avg: 1.2490

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Housing suggestions? Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Okay, I know this is very similar to another tread, but I wanted to address it to the general population, not just those looking for a place to live.

I'm finding this whole apartment searching thing rather daunting, and as I look continue to find people that hate the complexes they live in. Yet there certainly aren't reviews for every apartment. Also, I'm most concerned about finding a safe neighborhood-- where I can run, by myself, every day, even in the winter, when it will be dark that early in the morning. Wink

To be more specific about areas-- I will probably be working in downtown Minneapolis, and my roommate will be working north of downtown... so she wants to live north of the river (that is, no uptown Sad ). To complicate things more, I have a evening job in St. Paul. So, we're kinda looking NE of Minneapolis, possibly in St. Paul or a suburb.

Does anyone have suggestions of good neighborhoods, or better yet, specific apartments or duplexes to try?

Edit: I should also add that we're looking for < $1000 range. (Things we've looked at have been about 800-850.)

Last edited by OleDancer on Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Maybe writing off 394 corridor is a bit premature. The longest I've been stuck between 394/94 and 100 is 5 extra minutes. (15 from washington ave and 394 to 100.) If you carpool, so much the better! My complex is fabulous and pretty safe in St Louis Park.

That whole St Paul thing, however...

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
OleDancer
Likes her admins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

What's the name and location of your complex?
Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sommerset Oaks, off Hwy 7 and Louisiana Ave

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
kitkat
Lindyhop Calendar Czaressa

Weekly Avg: 4.3154

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

You CANNOT sanely get through I-94's between-cities stretch between 3:30 & 5:45 on a weekday.

You're gonna be in for a heck of a slow drive getting to an evening job in St. Paul if you live on the 394 corridor.

Otherwise, Shawn's right that it's not nearly as inconvenient as it seems (though that was partly because I went against traffic and got to use carpool lanes off-hours when I worked out there & lived in town).

I was going to suggest my neighborhood (Longfellow) till I got to the NE bit. My neighborhood meets all your criteria except being NE-friendly. It's 3 buses/trains to get there. :-

Oh, by the way, did you mean NE of Minneapolis or did you really mean NW of it? I can't see what good living NW of it would do you.

You could always live in the "dancer apartment complex" in Roseville.

How many is that place up to?
OleDancer
Likes her admins.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

My mistake-- I had my E's and W's mixed up; it's fixed now.

Where is Longfellow? My roommate plans to drive, so it doesn't necessarily have to be convenient public-transit-wise (though if I could take a bus, that'd be great).

Dancer apartment in Roseville?! We actually just looked at an apartment in Roseville! So if there's one that's recommended... (anyone, anyone?)
marimba1
Shim Sham

Weekly Avg: 2.7243

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

No advice from me--but I'm glad you'll be around! Good luck!

"Being a nerd, that is, going to far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know." --Sarah Vowell
strongbad
Schoolwork's Demise

Weekly Avg: 2.1561

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:16 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

That's right! There is an apartment complex that currently houses 6 dancers conveniently located right off Hwy 36 in Roseville. Rent for 2 bedrooms is right around 800 there's air conditioning, dishwashers, outdoor pool, and grills. It's a very safe neighborhood and is walking distance to Super Target!, a good library, HarMar (Barnes & Noble and Cub Foods) as well as near a few bus stops. I was just 10 minutes from both downtown Minneapolis and St. Paul, but the commute to Minneapolis has increased slightly with the bridge collapse. Regardless, it's a great find--Rosemall Apartments. (Or as some affectionately call, MallRose Very Happy ) Let me know if you want more infomation, and if you do decide to rent here, let Cheri (the propertey manager) know that I referred you!

Krista
anntics
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 1.9418

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Como Park, St. Anthony Park (by Lauderdale), and Roseville are your best options.

Como Park and St. Anthony Park are your better options. They both are close to 94 and 280, and thoroughfares University and Larpenteur/Hennepin, both of which take you into downtown Mpls.

Como Park is fantastic because Como Park is a very, very popular lake to run, walk, or rollerblade around, year round. Very safe neighborhood, close to Roseville for shopping. I would stay close to the lake, preferably on the north or west sides, for easiest access/the best thoroughfares. Best way to find smaller complexes is to just drive around for phone numbers. There are a lot of duplexes on Como between Snelling and Hamline. I believe there is also duplex for rent right on Lexington, by Hoyt, that looks very nice, and it's just north of the park and close to the lake. It was a 2 bedroom with a garage. Rents should typically in the 900 range.

It can be hard to find a place in St. Anthony Park - housing is competitive and very tight down there. The best way to find a place is to go down there and drive around (signs on the lawns aren't advertised in the papers) or go to the Finnish Bistro, because people post apartments for rent on the community bulletin board there. I would act fast, though, because it's probably filling up with U students who go to the St. Paul campus. Rents may be closer to 1000, due to the higher demand, but it's a fantastic little area!

Roseville is good, but now that the bridge is out, it's not as convenient as it used to be. Before the bridge went out, I would say it's a great option, but now, not as much. 280 is a good detour, but you might as well live a little further south, like in Como or St. Anthony Park. Rents will be a little cheaper, 800-850 range.

Falcon Heights may also have something - that is a decent neighborhood as well, but not quite as attractive as Como or St. Anthony.

All are great, safe neighborhoods, though. Good luck!
Uffda
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.1041

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

All good suggestions. Longfellow is a great (still somewhat undiscovered) neighborhood especially for running, it is close to W. river road which connects to all sorts of great trails.

I'll throw one more into the mix...

Prospect Park, in SE Minneapolis.
Near 280 & University. Close to 94, and St. Paul. Right off the 21 busline to DT minneapolis, close to east and west river road for running. Very safe, clean, & quiet. I have lived here for three years and love it. It is mostly owner occupied houses, but there rentals scattered throughout the neighborhood. If you are interested, I would recommend driving through it, because most people seem to put rental signs in the front yards. It is great neighborhood to look in if you like older homes and apartments.

Good luck in your hunting.
Cyrano de Maniac
Master of the Smile

Weekly Avg: 2.5212

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Though I don't live there anymore, I'll chime in that Longfellow seemed great when I lived in that area. In case you aren't familiar with some of these neighborhood names Lauren, Longfellow is essentially the area of town Tapestry is in, roughly south of Lake Street and east of Hiawatha.

Also, the southeastern bits of Powderhorn (essentially across Hiawatha from Tapestry) are just fine too -- the northern parts, around Lake Street, might be sketchy, and the western parts are kind of hit-and-miss. I forget what that section is called, but if you can find a good deal between Powderhorn and 62 (i.e. the Lake Nokomis area) I'd jump on it -- but the good deals might be hard to come by.

Brent
OleDancer
Likes her admins.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I'm liking the sound of Longfellow; I think if I could find a decently-priced place, my roommate might go for it-- we've been having zero luck and only have 2 more days to find something!

Are there apartments in Longfellow, or just houses? The only apartment I've found is Ceder94, and they don't have any openings.
pannierpacker

Weekly Avg: 1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Strongbad,
Do any Lindyers still live at the Rosemall? I live there currently and am looking for people who want to join my community group on facebook.

--Steve
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Blah blah... All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: