Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Holy Crap, Dance already!
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> MinnesotaLindy User Blogs Goto page 1, 2  Newer

Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Holy Crap, Dance already! Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Holy Crap!
I can post again!

So, after many months of suffering my companies' load balancing over two ip addresses, which screwed with MNLindy sessions, and made it extremely maddening as I kept getting logged out after my long insightful posting was lost. No more.

Now I can make long insightful posting.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#1) Dance

So, ultimately, we come out to dance for our own reasons. I have mine, you have yours. I've been dancing 5 years, you've been dancing 0-10+. I've got my friends and you have yours. I've got my stresses and you have yours. Can I say who you should dance with and who you should avoid? Can I say why you should dance with them, or why not? Can I say 'they' are selective or 'they' are shy?

Boy, I sure could, but it be asinine to do so.

Truth is, you dance with who you want to dance with. If you think someone is avoiding you or that some group is selective, maybe it's yourself who really doesn't want to dance with them. Just think about it for me as I leave you this line about who I personally dance with:

I dance with those who ask me and those who I ask. I apologize that I don't ask you to dance, I might not know you or you might be far from me. Ask me to dance for I bear no malice.

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
fisch

Weekly Avg: 1.6784

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy Crap, Dance already! Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

[Edit: Sorry!]

Last edited by fisch on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
lindybutterfly
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 2.8378

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Holy Crap, Dance already! Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

fisch wrote:

Minneapolis dancers are imbalanced.

-J

Are you talking about the follow-lead ratio?! Laughing

Seriously, I'm intrigued. Please continue.
Swingmegg
A A B A

Weekly Avg: 2.6644

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I too would like to hear what is behind your post....and I say behind it because you said you wish you had more time...so there must be more that you would like to say. I hope we get to hear it.

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~~Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile
fieldsish
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.1755

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I think he's saying we're all schizophrenic... Smile
Amy-Kins
100 Post Club

Weekly Avg: 0.3561

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

fieldsish wrote:

If that's the case, should we start having group therapy for dancers Wink
fieldsish
Swingout

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Amy-Kins wrote:
fieldsish wrote:

wait... that's not what forums are for??
Cyrano de Maniac
Master of the Smile

Weekly Avg: 2.5212

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Amy-Kins wrote:
fieldsish wrote:

Actually, if that's the case can't I just have group therapy all by myselfs?

Brent
Amy-Kins
100 Post Club

Weekly Avg: 0.3561

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Cyrano de Maniac wrote:
Amy-Kins wrote:
fieldsish wrote:

Actually, if that's the case can't I just have group therapy all by myselfs?

Brent

If that's the case, then perhaps I should give you my business card? Wink
fisch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

[edit: whoops!]

-J

Last edited by fisch on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Swingmegg
A A B A

Weekly Avg: 2.6644

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

1st, I am not agreeing or disagreeing....but I am curious as to how this differs in an obvious way from other scenes you've visited or danced in.

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~~Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile
fisch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

[edit: darn!]

-J

Last edited by fisch on Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Niki
Shim Sham

Weekly Avg: 1.2714

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

hahahahaha
fieldsish
Swingout

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

fisch wrote:
partner dancers don’t know how to express their individuality, often they rely upon their immediate partners, surrounding social group, or ubiquitous peer culture.

If this is what it means to be imbalanced, then being imbalanced is what it is to be human.

Expectations and uncertainties in relation to those around us or in regard to the formation of one’s own identity are a normal part of figuring out the world and our place in it. Perhaps the people group “Minneapolis dancers” is one particular form of this phenomenon, exhibiting its own set of issues and perceptions within and between individuals of the group, but I’ve seen the exact same sort of thing present in a dozen other social sets I’ve been a part of. (Though groups of artists aren’t known as particularly sane either…)

Perhaps the test of a balanced life is not whether we’re insecure, but knowing that we’re insecure (and when that’s a good or a bad thing. I think it could be both – sometimes at the same time). Basically I would contend that what you’re describing has nothing to do with being one who dances in the city called Minneapolis – though bringing it into the greater context of humanity and self-awareness is a thought-provoking comparison.

I’m interested in the idea of solution that you hinted at by quoting Plato and Emerson - self-dependence, reflection, and refraining from imitation. And though I’d agree that one’s identity should not be derived from other’s perceptions of us (or our perceptions of other’s perceptions of us, or their perceptions of our perceptions of their perceptions of us, or…) it’s impossible to say that those influences are entirely bad or even could be excluded.

Self-dependence? Great! Unless we become so dense we can’t see any conclusion but the one we’ve decided upon. Or fail to accept that as social beings we need other people.

Reflection? Um… even I can’t find anything wrong with that. I think it would solve a lot of the world’s problems if we just thought about things. It would at least make the arguments more interesting.

Refraining from imitation? I’m all for thinking for yourself, but I have a hard time believing in the possibility of uniqueness - especially if we’re talking about dance. Maybe I won’t dance exactly like this person or that person, but we’re doing a sort of dance under a particular name that’s been around for eighty years. We choose what to imitate and what to contradict, but there’s nothing ever really new – just modifications and combinations of what came before.

Also, if I understand you correctly and self-sufficiency and moderation are the key, where does “expressing our experiences to people we trust” fit in?

I love discussions like this...

(P.S. Perhaps I should disclose that I have a personal bias against Plato because he said that artists should be kicked out of his ideal city because artists are liars. The jerk.)
OleDancer
Likes her admins.

Weekly Avg: 1.2490

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

fisch wrote:

I hope these words fall onto open ears and aren’t drowned out by the flood of pride.

Ironic conclusion, given that the argument, depending solely on oneself, seems to be a very prideful thing to do. Razz

If your definition of 'imbalanced' is something like 'not the same' then sure, we're all 'imbalanced' because we're all different.

When I think of our scene, though, I would call it imbalanced only in terms of lead/follow ratio. Wink In terms of other things, like the fact that we all have other interests and careers and activities outside of dancing, we have different skill levels, different styles, different reasons for wanting to dance, different levels of desire to travel or take classes, different friends both within and outside of the dance scene-- in terms of these things, I see no reason to cry 'imbalanced'.
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> MinnesotaLindy User Blogs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Newer

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: