Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Holy Crap, Dance already!
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> MinnesotaLindy User Blogs Goto page Older  1, 2

fisch

Weekly Avg: 1.6784

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

[Fisch Edit: previous post deemed unfit]

good luck all!

-J
marimba1
Shim Sham

Weekly Avg: 2.7243

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Here's just a few little thoughts I have.

I feel like dancing has made me, overall, more balanced. I feel more at home in my skin, more comfortable in social situations. It has exposed me to people and experiences that I never would have met or gone through otherwise, and which I believe have been good for me. Having a good attitude towards my dancing requires humility, love and respect toward my partners, joy and willingness to learn, and (yes) self-reliance, all good things to cultivate. As a person, then, dancing is certainly good for my emotional well-being.

Are we imbalanced as a scene? To me, this would only result from large numbers of people with unhealthy attitudes about their dancing, and to be honest, I don't think that we have that in any larger proportion than other scenes would. I think there is some insecurity (actually, that's part of what I read into the kerfuffle over Showdown changing cities--a bit of a "now people might not come here" feeling) but I don't know that I would term it imbalance.

Anyway, that's what's been running through my head.

"Being a nerd, that is, going to far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know." --Sarah Vowell
pius_perplexus
A A B A

Weekly Avg: 2.1319

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:30 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

marimba1 wrote:
Having a good attitude towards my dancing requires humility, love and respect toward my partners, joy and willingness to learn, and (yes) self-reliance, all good things to cultivate.

Having just finished a conversation about this topic, I came to many similar conclusions. Well said Susan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MySpace Profile
Cyrano de Maniac
Master of the Smile

Weekly Avg: 2.5212

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

On the topic of balance, I can with completely certainty and much joy say that I am a much more balanced person since starting to dance. My particular unbalance was in the areas of a lack of confidence around others, and increasingly extreme introversion, with these two things forming a vicious little feedback loop to boot.

I know I've mentioned this in conversation with other dancers from time to time, and it strikes me how many of my dance friends don't see me as being that way at all. However, if I'm honest with myself and compare me in 2002 versus me in 2008, I can see the difference, not just around dancers, but in my social confidence throughout life. The old me would have never had the courage to crack a joke with the ladies down at the Red Cross blood center while I'm donating, wouldn't have the courage to invite his dental hygienist to a dance, get in the middle of the "jam" circle in the hip-hop class at Sving du Nord, ask a musician to autograph their CD, approach the manager of a restaurant/store about a service problem, etc.

I can lay all of that confidence squarely at the feet of my experiences dancing in the Twin Cities. With you!

And to emphasize a point Susan touched on, kind of centered around the words of "humility, love and respect", I had a wonderful lesson in that this past summer. A few times I was at a dance (some at Tapestry, some at Beantown), and just wasn't really in the mood -- the music wasn't doing it for me, or I was tired, or cranky, or whatever. So I tried a different motivation -- instead of it being about me, I decided that my one and only aim was to help my partner have fun -- to bring her as much joy as I could manage. You know what happened? Inevitably within a song or two we were both having more fun than is healthy for a mortal! As has been said "It is more blessed to give than to receive".

Granted, I've pretty well fallen off that wagon -- the past couple of nights being a prime example. But I need to take that as more of a challenge to myself to put back into practice that "humility, love and respect" that Susan mentioned.

Brent
Swingmegg
A A B A

Weekly Avg: 2.6644

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Well Brent...I have to say that our last dance was a GREAT example of making sure your follow had a GREAT time! I watched people watch us walk off the floor & they looked jealous of the JOY and excitement on our faces! Smile thank you!

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~~Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile
Amy-Kins
100 Post Club

Weekly Avg: 0.3561

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Cyrano de Maniac wrote:
On the topic of balance, I can with completely certainty and much joy say that I am a much more balanced person since starting to dance. My particular unbalance was in the areas of a lack of confidence around others, and increasingly extreme introversion, with these two things forming a vicious little feedback loop to boot.

I know I've mentioned this in conversation with other dancers from time to time, and it strikes me how many of my dance friends don't see me as being that way at all. However, if I'm honest with myself and compare me in 2002 versus me in 2008, I can see the difference, not just around dancers, but in my social confidence throughout life. The old me would have never had the courage to crack a joke with the ladies down at the Red Cross blood center while I'm donating, wouldn't have the courage to invite his dental hygienist to a dance, get in the middle of the "jam" circle in the hip-hop class at Sving du Nord, ask a musician to autograph their CD, approach the manager of a restaurant/store about a service problem, etc.

Brent, I totally understand where you are coming from because I went through a similar transformation. Dancing was a catalyst for personal growth, especially to help me with my extreme shyness and some social anxiety. For me, the challenge has always been asking a person to dance. I have slowly been getting better at this throughout my years of dancing (still sometimes have conscious, irrational fears around this). And I see it also help me come out of my shell in other types of social situations as well Smile
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> MinnesotaLindy User Blogs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Older  1, 2

Page 2 of 2

Jump to: