Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Getting Better
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> MinnesotaLindy User Blogs
Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Getting Better Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

#2) So, as you may or may not know I like to see people getting better at their dancing. To that end I host classes, workshops, and events, just as Cindy, Terry, Krista, Serge, Ginger, Niko and many others have done and continue to do.

Why on earth would we invest so many thousands of dollars in you? No reason, it's in our blood. The real question is, why should you invest your hard-earned dollars?

I can't tell you why you should "get better". All I can tell you is that everything you learn about this dance opens up new avenues for exploration and enjoyment. Sure you can start a swingout on 1, but what about 2 or 3, maybe even 8. Sure you can always lead a swingout back-together, but what about forward? It's not trickery, it's options and exposure. The more options, the more room for improvisation and creation. The more exposure, the clearly the lead and follow.

When you dance, it's all you out there. There's nobody else moving you -- Even as a follow, you ultimate have final say in how you move and where you go. When it makes sense, you move together and it's awesome, I know, I've been watching.

I see you trying out new things, working on dips and tricks, trying to sort it all out. So take the foundation classes, get a new way of doing old hat. At the very least you'll have a new area for improvisation. The cliche is that even the best dancers work on basics, but it's not a cliche, they really do (and not just in swing dancing).

With that, I suggest you look into the following great opportunities for learning:
Cindy and Terry Foundation Classes (Mondays starting February, Falcon Heights)
Krista Haskins/Pazaz Dance Balboa Classes (On going Tuesdays, Abettos)
Jason and Stacia Lindy Hop Topics (On going Mondays, Jawaahir)
Shannon and Bill Swing/Charleston (on going Wednesdays, Lee's)
Damon Stone Workshop, Jan 16-17
SOLFest, Feb 20-21
Hawkeye Swing Festival, Apr 17-19
Solidarity (dunno the date yet)

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
fisch

Weekly Avg: 1.6784

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Shawn:

when I saw this post, I was encouraged. You invoke a positive learning atmosphere by motivating and prompting on the board.

Thank you.
Swingmegg
A A B A

Weekly Avg: 2.6644

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

JUST DO IT PEOPLE....you'll love yourself for it! I know I do every time I feel something change in my dancing directly associated to a workshop! Look at the list of things coming up.. do 1, 2 or 3 of these things....or more.... So much fun!

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~~Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> MinnesotaLindy User Blogs All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: