Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Late Night Swing
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Local Goto page 1, 2  Newer

CruelShoes
Too Much Time On My Hands

Weekly Avg: 5.6140

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Late Night Swing Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Calendar Event: Thursday, July 29, 2010
Interval: 1 week
Repeat: repeat forever

I am not attending.
Attending: CruelShoes

Join us for the most popular swing nights for the last 10 years! DJ Terry Gardner spins the best of jazz, big band and jump blues! Check us out! 10 pm every Thursday at Social Dance Studio!

Late Night Swing

CruelShoes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Please use this thread for any Late Night Swing posts. This one has the new venue attached to it. We had to start a new thread in order to change the calendar.

I hope to have video of Burnsville Swing and the Bal Demo from July 22nd up on YouTube and Facebook either today or Wednesday.
dizzydave
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 1.0016

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Is it just me, or was Burnsville's aerials better than normal?

I used to clap on one and three, now i snap on two and four ~ "All the Cats Join In" by Ray Gilbert
CruelShoes

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

They had some good ones. I thought to myself, "Hmm, good thing I'm taping this..."
CruelShoes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I've uploaded a bunch of video from Late Night Swing on July 22, 2010. Includes the Bal demo, social dancing and Burnsville swing!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Lindyguy
OleDancer
Likes her admins.

Weekly Avg: 1.2490

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:49 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Benefits to the new space at Social Dance Studio:
Air Conditioning! I was actually cold by the end.
Cool decor.
Washcloths in the bathroom!
Potential for more overlap between swing and SDS's other events-- I overheard multiple people mention that they wanted to come back and try zumba or ballroom after seeing the posters on the wall. I hope it can be a win-win situation there, bringing more students to SDS, and exposing swing dancers to other dances they might enjoy!

The only downside seems to be the smaller space-- hopefully the floorcraft skills needed to navigate the floor and occasionally scale down the dancing will be learned quickly. Smile (Perhaps in a class?)
dizzydave
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 1.0016

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Floorcraft Class? I LOVE IT!!!

I used to clap on one and three, now i snap on two and four ~ "All the Cats Join In" by Ray Gilbert
Amy-Kins
100 Post Club

Weekly Avg: 0.3561

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

If someone taught that class, I would SO be there.

I really can't wait to come out to SDS!
kitkat
Lindyhop Calendar Czaressa

Weekly Avg: 4.3154

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I can't decide if a packed floorcraft class is helpful or harmful to its purpose...
Allen Hall
MN Prince of Snark Darkness

Weekly Avg: 1.0115

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

"Floorcraft Course" is confusing; it sounds like a "how too" for floor construction. I would prefer "Dance Leader's Floor Management Tutorial"; not so confusing and a snooty title. Look, it is largely the leader's responsibility where a pair dances, how they dance, and how much floor they occupy.

Lindy Hoppers could take a few pointers from West Coast Swing dancers in this regard. WCS's origins as a slotted dance with firm dance pair margins was begun principally because of tight dance floor space in California.

No, I am not going to teach anything. I don't have a teaching bone in my whole body, BUT a couple of things do come to mind.
1. If you can slot your Lindy Hop, the floor corners become primo. Dancing there means you don't have to worry about dancers on two of your margins, those ones off the floor to one long side and one end of your slot, BUT guys, try to pick the corner which puts your starting position with tin that direction with you guarding the lady from other dancers, and, if you do passes (vs underarm turns), you can pass her on your left in the other direction, and away from other dancers with the off-floor side on your left.
2. Of course, guy's backward kicks are a big problem unless you are sure you have the space to do so, OR when you are in a corner with the short off-floor side to your back-seewhatImean?
3.Guys, when the floor is crowded, try to pick a spot away from elbow flingers. I used to call them "chicken wingers" who keep time by raising both elbows sideways and thus appear to be trying to levitate.
4. A cooperative venture between two couples (never three) to mutually share an end portion of two slots is a wondrous thing when it happens. Your pair uses the overlapping floor for 8 counts when and if the other pair is not using it, for instance when they are in closed position, and visa versa. Experience allows the leader to take a quick peek to determine what the adjoining pair is doing. 5. It has been my experience that Lindy Hop leaders on a very tight floor tend to compensate by dancing in a slot,as the leaders seem to sense they can better manage what floor they have by doing this.
6. Big circular moves are a big problem on a crowded floor.
7. While contact is often unavoidable*, by all means, a leader should protect his partner's head.
* When bumping happens, proper dance etiquette demands the partner offer apologies to the other couple, and that re-enforces, the dictum of good manners always in social dance, even though we do a highly athletic dance to fast music.
8. Tighten the dance when it's crowded. The simplest way is to not extend arms during moves in open position or from closed to open position, and don't lead expansive moves at all--Look, isn't it better to confine your dance a little, than not to dance at all?
9. Try not to extend your arms by keeping elbows near you side.
10. And, most important, when the floor gets super-crowded, do not synchronize your breathing with all the other dancers. This can lead to CGA, Coordinated Group Asphyxia. In the military we might advise"route breathing", much as "route step" or random step marching is used by troops going over bridges, so that the combined shock of all those synchronized marching boots will not bring down the bridge.

Allen Hall
CruelShoes

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Frankie Manning said when they encountered a leader that had no floor awareness, the other leads took care of things and the poor guy got kicked, bumped, stepped on, et al. I'm paraphrasing a bit but that's how they handled it in cats corner.
Amy-Kins
100 Post Club

Weekly Avg: 0.3561

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Allen,
Followers also have their job too in dealing with a crowded floor:
1. When in closed position, you can put pressure on the lead's shoulder/arm when someone else is getting too close or you believe the lead may send you in a dangerous direction.
2. Less arm extension on swing outs (you said this too, but the follows have an equal share in that)
3. Make appropriate choices in terms of fancy moves - don't have a leg or arm too far away unless you know for sure there is no one else there.
4. FOLLOW! Go where the lead tells you to go - he should have your best interest and your safety at heart. If you don't listen to what the lead is saying, you are more likely to be bumped/kicked/slapped/etc.
5. Don't wear shoes that will hurt others too bad if you accidentally kick them. No stillettos Smile
fieldsish
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.1755

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Allen & Amy's gentle reminders are quiet pertinent...

It's an awesome thing to feel the excitement and joy of a room packed full of people having a blast - but quite another thing to feel it as a swift kick to the shin.

I'd also like to add a couple points:

- Pay attention to your surroundings! Not to hijack anything, but if your lead is having a hard time not sending you into other's elbows/torsos/heels, a follow can be more proactive of using the space she has, as well as doing what she can to watch, and stay out of the space of others.

- It's vastly better to sacrifice a move or kick than to have it hurt someone.

- Always apologize - even if you're certain it's not your fault. Anytime you come in to contact with someone dancing near you, acknowledge it with a quick "sorry!" or something to show that you're not trying to kill off the other dancers. An atmosphere of mutual respect is key to enjoyment on every side.

- And just a thought...
Balboa is super fun - especially when it's crowded Wink
dummy
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 0.8811

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Well, I agree with all this. But I have a caveat - and a dirty little secret..

I have been known, from time to time, to break most of the rules on purpose. Mostly when I'm getting stepped on and poked all the time by people who aren't paying attention.

So my solution? The second the song starts (before people really fill up the floor) dance BIG! Very circular swing outs. Many kicks. And arms swinging around. Avoid slots at ALL COSTS! never go into closed position, or if you do, get right back out.

It seems to work at least for a little while.

Of course, that method only works if you actually know how to watch what you're doing.

Or if you actually don't care about hurting those around you...

Wink
Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

My dirty secret is that I won't sacrifice lindy hop for balboa.... Twisted Evil

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Local All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Newer

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: