Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Tapestry Thursday Swing Dance Lessons
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Lindy Lessons and instruction Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Newer

donnay
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.1664

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:16 am    Post subject: Tapestry Thursday Swing Dance Lessons Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Calendar Event: Thursday, August 19, 2010 - Thursday, September 23, 2010
Interval: 1 week
Repeat: 6x

I am not attending.
Attending: donnay, UptownSport

Swing Dance lessons by rotating instructors at Tapestry Folkdance Center. August 19th, 26th and September 2nd, Lois Donnay teaches. In September, Esther Granbois teaches. Lois Donnay returns in October, Esther in November.
6:30: Six Count Swing
8:00 Lindy
Dance follows

Admin Edits:
The actual schedule is as follows:
9/2: "6 count swing" and "Heel Shag"
9/9: "6 count swing" and "Heel Shag"
9/16: "Triple Time 6-Count Swing" and "Lindy Hop"
9/23: "Lindy & Charleston steps" and "Boogie Woogie"

The Thursday events from 9/30 through 10/28 do not fit the qualifications required to be a calendar post as defined in the MNLindy guidelines (See FAQ). The author of this post is free to make a non-calendar post with these topics under "blah blah...". Future Swing classes may be posted here and will remain subject to the MNLindy guidelines.

Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Two's not really a rotation. Who else can we expect?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
Allen Hall
MN Prince of Snark Darkness

Weekly Avg: 1.0115

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

No guys instructing?

Allen Hall
Kian Dwyer
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 1.1218

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Good point, Allen. I think it's easier for people to learn from a couple like Terry & Cindy at their Thursday east coast & lindy hop lessons currently @ Ukrainian Event Center (301 Main St. NE) and moving to Social Dance Studio in September @ same times 6:30 and 8:00PM. Plus, Terry makes it so much fun!
PaulRivers
Rock Step

Weekly Avg: 0.1174

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:35 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Wonderful. First the Tapestry forces Cindy and Terry out, then they try to steal their exact dance schedule.

There's already 2 different good places to swing dance in the twin cities - Social Dance Studio (where the Tapestry swing crowd all moved), and The Caves in St Paul.

If the Tapestry is going to try to teach swing, the least they could do is put it on another night of the week that's not already overcrowded.
UptownSport
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.8805

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Lois had a 'guy' instructing, Bill and Shannon will sometimes instruct individually-
My guess would be that this is done quite frequently!
The caves had only a man (Caveman Dave or something similar!)
I'm not sure why this would suddenly become an issue.

Tapestry had a wonderful dance floor; never seen the Ukrainian center, does it have posts in the middle of the floor like SDS?
PaulRivers
Rock Step

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I've grown quite fond of the post. At the Tapestry when it got crowded you would try to dance on the edge of the floor so you wouldn't have as many people colliding with you (rather than in the middle, where there would be people on 4 sides). If you dance next to the post, that's one side you don't have to worry about other dancers moving into your space from.
Azeroth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

UptownSport wrote:

It's always been an issue, nothing sudden about it.

Quote:
Tapestry had a wonderful dance floor; never seen the Ukrainian center, does it have posts in the middle of the floor like SDS?

I encourage you to continue to try new things.

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
PaulRivers
Rock Step

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:27 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Azeroth wrote:
UptownSport wrote:

It's always been an issue, nothing sudden about it.

While he may be going out of his way to take offense, the first part may have been a response to the "No guys instructing?" comment, which truly isn't an issue with a good instructor.

I don't think the "No guys instructing?" comment was meant as anything more than an funny offhand remark anyways.
Azeroth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I was thinking more along the lines of no partners listed. Partner's are needed to show both roles simultaneously, I think we can all agree on that.

Leads teaching the dance do so differently than Follows teaching the dance. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other, it's the different perspective aspect that is needed. They need to add experienced lead instructors to the list for balance -- especially a lead that knows how to teach swingouts well, which is hard to find.

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

UptownSport
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.8805

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Azeroth wrote:

You bet!!!! So I'll see you at Lois's lessons
Cyrano de Maniac
Master of the Smile

Weekly Avg: 2.5212

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:11 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

UptownSport wrote:
Azeroth wrote:

You bet!!!! So I'll see you at Lois's lessons

Zing! Well played sir.

You gotta' admit Shawn, you walked right into that one!

Brent
Azeroth

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Nope, you haven't seen me at TCSwing lessons in years either, truth be told. I enjoyed TCSwing instruction when that worked for me, then things changed and I took advanced lessons from a couple of ALHC Champions for a while. Basically, I went out and found different instructors that worked for me.

I didn't wait for someone to bring those instructors to me. In fact, I've been bringing instruction to everyone for years. I don't know if I've made your acquaintance yet though.
Amy-Kins
100 Post Club

Weekly Avg: 0.3561

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

PaulRivers wrote:
There's already 2 different good places to swing dance in the twin cities - Social Dance Studio (where the Tapestry swing crowd all moved), and The Caves in St Paul.

That's JUST on Thursdays Smile
donnay
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.1664

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I do have a guy who is assisting me, and he is really good. However, lots of women teach alone, (including Cindy and Shannon) and I always favored taking lessons from women. First, because they know both parts. Men don't often know the follower's part, but still like to try to teach it. Second, they follow enough so they know what good leading feels like!
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Lindy Lessons and instruction All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Newer

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: