Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Tapestry Thursday Swing Dance Lessons
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Lindy Lessons and instruction Goto page Older  1, 2, 3, 4  Newer

Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

UptownSport wrote:
I'd also note that it's sexist to assume that Lois or Women in general don't lead.
To believe only a man can know is basely wrong.
I note women doing a very effect job of this, the couple doing as well as a mixed couple.

This site is rather frightening.

Try not to put too many words into people's mouths Sport. Nobody assumed that Lois or Women couldn't or can't or don't lead. Historical, traditional gender-roles in the dance lead to a stereotype, but that doesn't make it sexist -- Rather, it seems, you are begging for a quarrel.

To the point, many people try their opposite role, but how many of them do it well -- well enough to compete against those in their primary role? Now you tell me which you'd rather learn from.

As Nick pointed out, there are great many champion lindy hop follows who can dance and teach the lead part. While Lois has not, to my knowledge, won or placed in these national-level competitions, she did quite well to inform this community about her teaching partner for these classes in a manner that wasn't accusatory.

To your parting shot, you are out of line. You knowingly jumped into a fray with the members of this site's opinions and viewpoints recently, previously posted. Do not be so desultory as to name-call the members of this site as "frightening". All the members of this site seek to better their dance of their own accord by seeking out events and instruction that work for them. This board is an online representation of the real-world community, what you say here reflects upon you offline.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
Jerry
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.1015

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:08 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Allen Hall wrote:
* One picky comment--he missed or omitted Camp Hollywood.NJC. I seem to recall they also have a big faculty of instructors.

Actually, I didn't.

http://jsalmonte.wordpress.com/2010/06/11/event-data/

It just wasn't listed in the main post because I was only listing the events that hired the most instructors in the US and Europe. Camp Hollywood hires a lot, but there are others that hire more.

Jerry
NickCruse
The Negrotiator

Weekly Avg: 3.4550

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Azeroth wrote:
UptownSport wrote:
I'd also note that it's sexist to assume that Lois or Women in general don't lead.
I note women doing a very effect job of this, the couple doing as well as a mixed couple.

Try not to put too many words into people's mouths Sport. Nobody assumed that Lois or Women couldn't or can't or don't lead. Historical, traditional gender-roles in the dance lead to a stereotype, but that doesn't make it sexist -- Rather, it seems, you are begging for a quarrel.

To the point, many people try their opposite role, but how many of them do it well -- well enough to compete against those in their primary role? Now you tell me which you'd rather learn from.

As Nick pointed out, there are great many champion lindy hop follows who can dance and teach the lead part. While Lois has not, to my knowledge, won or placed in these national-level competitions, she did quite well to inform this community about her teaching partner for these classes in a manner that wasn't accusatory.

To your parting shot, you are out of line. You knowingly jumped into a fray with the members of this site's opinions and viewpoints recently, previously posted. Do not be so desultory as to name-call the members of this site as "frightening". All the members of this site seek to better their dance of their own accord by seeking out events and instruction that work for them. This board is an online representation of the real-world community, what you say here reflects upon you offline.

Az,
Thank you for seeing my point and summing up a response better than I could have/wanted to spend the time on right now. I saw this thread starting to take a nasty turn with lots of flame bait out there.
Allen Hall
MN Prince of Snark Darkness

Weekly Avg: 1.0115

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Jerry,

Thank you. I might have known you would be thorough.
Where have I been? "Wandering and Pondering" is one of the best things to hit Lindy Hop since Frankie started throwing women around.

Allen Hall
UptownSport
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.8805

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Azeroth wrote:
UptownSport wrote:

Wall of words!!

Put words in your mouth?
There wouldn't be room!

So you're saying the only lessons I can take are from are from are nat'l level champs?
Have any other requirements for a beginner? OMFG.

My original comment was totally positive on how well I liked Lois's lesson ... Nasty? Flame Bait?
Wow. Frightening is a characterization or feeling, not a name.

As I said before, anytime you wish to discuss this offline, stop by lee's, Famous Dave's. Otherwise I'll give you my addy, phone number, latitude-longitude, grid square, etc.
dizzydave
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 1.0016

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Dude, relax. You are reminding me of a certain yellow bird.

You are calling this site "frightening" and that is 'name-calling' enough for me.

And yes, your first few posts were fairly upbeat, and if you noticed, the responses were as well. When someone quotes you, and says you are being nasty, they tend to mean in the instance they quoted.

So, I am very glad you enjoy Lois' lessons. But you really take this talk about the qualities of teaching too personally.

I used to clap on one and three, now i snap on two and four ~ "All the Cats Join In" by Ray Gilbert
UptownSport
Swingout

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I was expecting Ester tonite, and it was Lois!!!

The thing that's important in an instructor is that they can instruct, primarily.
Not the matter of how good a dancer they are, and Lois can instruct!
I feel so totally positive!!!!!!

Oh! And they're doing some sorts of Polka on upcoming Sundays!

Swingmegg
A A B A

Weekly Avg: 2.6644

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

oh the snark...it's building up inside of me..........it's going to explode if I don't log off right........NOW!

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~~Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile
marimba1
Shim Sham

Weekly Avg: 2.7243

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Can't hold back anymore...apologies if I'm uncharacteristically blunt.

What we have here is a failure to communicate.

UptownSport wrote:
The thing that's important in an instructor is that they can instruct, primarily.
Not the matter of how good a dancer they are

Disagree. I wouldn't put up with a professor who loved to teach but was a bad scientist--why should dance instruction be any different? A dance teacher, by and large, can only bring you up to their skill level and possibly a bit beyond (if you have talent that I am sadly lacking), depending on the level at which they set the bar. It is my very firm belief that an instructor for beginners should either (A) have the knowledge/skill to get their students dancing at an advanced level OR (B) serve as a gateway to other instructors that can.

Cindy and Terry have been (B) for 15 years; obviously by bringing instructors into town for Sving du Nord, and less obviously by building a large, strong, social dance community that serves both as a way for beginners to become entrenched in the scene, make friends, and start to travel, and as the perfect venue for dancers to find out about local events such as Midwest Lindyfest, Twin Cities Balboa Festival, North Star Blues, St. Olaf Lindy Fest, Minnesota Colleges Solidarity Weekend, etc. etc. All these are events that I'm sure the Tapestry board itself (with the probable exception of Sving) is totally unaware of, and even if the same ignorance does not apply to Lois and Esther, these events won't get the same promotion that they do with Cindy and Terry. Upshot? Beginners will, in all likelihood, not really advance and become part of the local and national and international scene, which is what we all want.

As for (A)...I also noticed that you were upset with Shawn's comment about instruction from national dance champions/teachers. This would be reasonable if that type of instruction is unavailable to you, but the thing is...that's not the case. There is regular instruction in lindy hop from Peter Strom (seriously...people fly him to Korea to teach...you don't think it's worth you're time to go to Uptown for a class?) in four week sessions for virtually the same price as lessons at Tapestry (Uptown Swing). His teaching partner, Stacia Martin, is no slouch either (badass competitor, national instruction experience, plus ask any follow in this scene if they think she's awesome or not and see what they say). Plus, if you're looking to "diversify" your swing repertoire, Krista Haskins (national balboa competitor, international instructor, strongbad on MNLindy) has been offering balboa instruction for 2 years every Tuesday. And of course Bill and Shannon at Famous Dave's and Lee's. All regularly occurring, free or cheap options. So no need for the OMFG. Unless it's, OMFG the TC scene is awesome or OMFG Susan writes too much Smile

Lastly, you should expect your opinions to be challenged here; everyone else does. As far as lessons at Tapestry go, UptownSport, my advice is to just stop trying to promote them on MNLindy for now. Believe me, you're not and most likely will not make any headway on anybody here. Personally, I don't accept teacher recommendations from someone I don't know, especially a self-identified beginner, regardless of all other factors. I really am sorry if you feel the forum is frightening, but people here are still upset at Tapestry and you're just fanning the flames, intentionally or not. Go go gadget bluntness!

"Being a nerd, that is, going to far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know." --Sarah Vowell
Swingmegg
A A B A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Susan, I <3 YOU! but you already knew that!

We're fools whether we dance or not, so we might as well dance. ~Japanese Proverb~
They who love dancing too much seem to have more brains in their feet than in their head. ~~Unknown
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile
UptownSport
Swingout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:14 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Jeez, I was trying to be positive, and it's met with an angry wall of words.

Bill n Shannon. Great dancers AND instructors. heart.gif
Bill Butler holds your site in nothing but the highest regard. He told me so, and said, "Ted, you had better be nice to those fine people." It's true. Ask him.

What's his name at Jawaahir- live 400 ft away- Wasn't any too impressed. He kept saying he's the only one who gives these hints, when Bill n Shannon say the same every Monday and Wednesday for free... stuck on himself a bit .. Fun dancing on a Tuesday, actually would've continued, but have a VFW meeting one Tuesday, and volunteer at the VA another. I think it would be fine to send him to North Korea.

It seems my opinions are what's not welcome here.
UptownSport
Swingout

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I was going to say that I learned many new things from both Lois and her partner that I'd not heard before, from TCSwing, Strom, or even the Super Duo (They teach basics, so there would be a reason.)

Swingmegg
A A B A

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:50 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

I am pretty sure you should check your shoes --- I think you just stepped in it ... big time!

dizzydave
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 1.0016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:41 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Ok, feel free to post your opinion, but don't be affronted when people disagree, it's part of a forum. So, Ted, I would have you know that we also hold Bill and Shannon in the highest regards, they are amazing teachers and people, and I will never fault them in those regards.

I haven't attended Lois' class, so do you think you could talk about how it is structured, as I asked earlier, and not how upset you are that people might disagree with you.

Suggestion for the future... don't ever enter into a public discussion, if you expect everyone to agree with you. If you do, you will surely be disappointed.

I used to clap on one and three, now i snap on two and four ~ "All the Cats Join In" by Ray Gilbert
UptownSport
Swingout

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Dave,

Hey thanks!

Lois has a great teaching style, FOR ME.
One caveat, I could easily see how she'd offend some, but I love it!
I think she so closely understands the mind of a beginner...

Overall, though, she isn't a 'talker', no talk during performance instruction in the place of doing!

I know this sounds duh!, but TCSwing DIDN'T do this, they started by showing off some complicated sequence that made people gasp, proceeded to cram it into too short of time- Really excellent for people that already knew the most of it, but for 95% of moderate dancers; overwhelming. Never enough time to rehearse what we'd learned. Then the talking- Terry had great little barbs to throw in that really kept it interesting but there were very critical remarks that were (I felt) inappropriate, if I heard "I see a little bit of this going on" once I heard it 1000's times.

My friends told me that the leads frequently had no idea what was going on- I felt I didn't but actually was complimented that I did better than most leads in the rotation...

One criticism of Tapestry, they kicked everyone out immediately after TCSwing lessons- So there was no way to practice what one had just learned.
Lois and Ester have corrected this.

The other instructor that gets this is Bill Butler- Because he was an NCO for so long, and likely taught thousands of Army classes.

Oh! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Check out this couple doing the 'Heel Shag': (They were doing the super kuhl crossover just before!

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1435863993#!

OMG!
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Lindy Lessons and instruction All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Older  1, 2, 3, 4  Newer

Page 3 of 4

Jump to: