Aug
Sep
North Star Blues
Oct
Sving Du Nord
Nov
Dec

Tapestry Thursday Swing Dance Lessons
Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Lindy Lessons and instruction Goto page Older  1, 2, 3, 4

marimba1
Shim Sham

Weekly Avg: 2.7243

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

*Sigh*

Call me crazy, but I do so love it when I try to state my opinions as clearly and rationally as possible and all that seems to come across is an "angry wall of words." Well, what do I know anyway...all of my beginning teaching and a good chunk of the intermediate instruction was from fellow college students, and I guess I turned out okay despite it. Oh, but wait...perhaps that's because my teachers, though amateurs, made such an effort to introduce their students to the wider world of dance off campus. So now here I am, building my own little dance community in TC and other cities scattered around the country (who knows? maybe someday the world), a thing of beauty and joy forever if there ever was one, and all I want is for everyone who learns dance to be aware that that wider dance world exists for them as much as anyone else. I worry that students at Tapestry now might not get that...does that make me sound angry?

"Being a nerd, that is, going to far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know." --Sarah Vowell
orange
Full-fledged Dance Dork

Weekly Avg: 1.8816

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Guys, guys, guys.

Just a quick and friendly reminder:

Don't feed the trolls.

http://www.consumersavvytips.org/avoiding_an_internet_troll.html

hearts,

eryn

Once, I went into a knife shop and said, "Here's million dollars. I'd like to buy a knife." The guy said, "NO, money can't buy knives."

UptownSport
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.8805

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

marimba1 wrote:
all I want is for everyone who learns dance to be aware that that wider dance world exists for them as much as anyone else. I worry that TCSwing students might not get that...

Fixed.

Yep, if you disagree, just call someone a name.

Rules of argument.
1. Try to argue facts.
If that doesn't work:
2. Misstate facts.
If that doesn't work:
3. Get angry, try to intimidate.
If that doesn't work,
4. Use personal attacks, such as name calling.
Azeroth
MinnesotaLindy.COM Superhero

Weekly Avg: 7.7471

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:37 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Sport,
Nobody on this site is going to erase the history of your comments. Your words are forever saved here. Odds are, they will likely come back to you.

I do ask you, as administrator, to be clear in your writing such that you can reduce misinterpretation. On initial read, it appears that you are quoting Marimba directly and it turns out you have changed her words, despite attributing them to her. While such misleading artistic choice is some sort of freedom of speech, you should consider correcting the misleading phrasing to avoid misinterpretation.

I do disagree, who has called you a name? I reviewed but couldn't find it. Please enlighten.

Finally, how were the Tapestry swing lessons panning out? I'm sure the smaller class sizes gave you the individual instructor attention you were looking for while the reduced material covered resulted in a slower pace that suited you better. See you at Famous Dave's or Lee's some night then.

Ask not what your scene can do for you;
Ask what you can do for your scene!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
dizzydave
Spotlight Dance

Weekly Avg: 1.0016

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:31 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

marimba1 wrote:
*Sigh*
and all I want is for everyone who learns dance to be aware that that wider dance world exists for them as much as anyone else. I worry that students at Tapestry now might not get that...does that make me sound angry?

Just making sure we know what the quote was.

Plus, why are we bringing this up again? I thought this argument had died down. Are we just trying to stir the pot?

I used to clap on one and three, now i snap on two and four ~ "All the Cats Join In" by Ray Gilbert
UptownSport
Swingout

Weekly Avg: 0.8805

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

orange wrote:
Don't feed the trolls.

weren't too hard to find, you'd only have to look up one post Mr. Administrator. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pretty up front that I edited her post. 'course you had problems
finding the troll post; Confused .

Wider dance experience? Facts; (those don't seem to sway you) TCSwing don't teach (heel) shag, The Madison (numb***s didn't even know what it was), and ad infinitum. (That means lotsa more examples)
I've done TCSwing, why don't you give Lois a try? Anyone of you taken a lesson???? Shocked Go, and then you'd have a basis for your opinion.

Situation is, you're going to talk TCSwing no matter if sweet Jesus came down and etched you try something different on a tablet of Gold embedded in your forehead. Rolling Eyes

Put a pic of me copulating with a sheep on the front page of the Star. Who cares? The sheep?

You go ahead and meet me at FD or where ever!
Will you be wearing a plume and sash that says administrator? Very Happy
Azeroth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

UptownSport wrote:
Put a pic of me copulating with a sheep on the front page of the Star. Who cares? The sheep?

As you are the sole individual from Lois' classes who wishes to interact with other social dancers in town, why would anyone want to have you as a classmate?

In other news, The Madison? Really? Is that the best you've got? That died out 40+ years ago. Why not pick something else just as obscure? Here's some to pick from, none of which Stearns could bring themselves to qualify as jazz dances either: Birdland, bot, jet, roach, wobble, locomotion, choo-choo, fight, freeze, mashed potato, charley-bop, fly, chicken, stroll, shop, fish, or crawl? I mean, it may be one of the first to come out and maybe you managed it 50 years ago, but it's just not terribly relevant to the dance that is alive and well today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger MySpace Profile Facebook Profile
Azeroth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:07 pm    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Wow. How far has Tap Swing program fallen? They officially have no swing dances anymore, just 2 hours of classes at a price significantly higher than under TCSwing.

Tapestry Newsletter wrote:

Start your Thursday evenings off at Tapestry and learn how to swing dance in a fun, supportive, beginner-friendly environment.
Tapestry’s swing instructors Esther Granbois and Lois Donnay offer a wide variety of swing dance variations each month. The first
hour of each swing class is focused on swing basics for beginners. The second hour focuses on more intermediate swing techniques.
In January, Esther Granbois will teach a series of 6-count swing (single time & triple time). In February, Lois Donnay teaches West
Coast Swing. Beginners are always welcome to drop on any Thursday night. No pre-registration and no dance partner is necessary!
THURSDAY SWING CLASS occurs Thursdays, 6:30-8:30pm Basics are reviewed at the first hour of each swing class.
Admission is $9 ($7 members/students)
kitkat
Lindyhop Calendar Czaressa

Weekly Avg: 4.3154

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:54 am    Post subject: Share topic on FB Add User to Ignore List Reply with quote

Post new topic   printer-friendly   Reply to topic    MinnesotaLindy.COM Forum Index -> Lindy Lessons and instruction All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Older  1, 2, 3, 4

Page 4 of 4

Jump to: